Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Couscous...is it any good?

The answer is YES!  I watch a lot of food network and cooking shows and they always serve or cook with couscous.  I have been wanting to try it for a long time because I have never eaten it before.  I bought it in our local grocery store...I think I found it by the rice.


This is the roasted garlic and olive oil couscous.  We had it tonight for dinner and it was fabulous!  I loved it!  I can't wait to eat it again.  


What is couscous?


Wheat Food Council, states that "couscous (pronounced "koos-koos"), a staple of North African cooking, is now widely available in packaged form in most supermarkets. Couscous is granules of semolina made from durum wheat, the ideal pasta wheat, which are precooked and then dried. Actually, the word can mean the pasta itself, as well as North African stews ("tanginess") traditionally served over it."  This statement was found from http://www.wheatfoods.org/What-is-couscous.21.10.htm.  


The top 5 reasons to eat couscous:
1.) It's super fast to make.  It only takes 5 minutes.
2.) It tastes like rice. 
3.) It can be made in the microwave.
4.) It's a side dish that goes great with almost anything. 
5.) It supports wheat farmers!  :)  




I think it is really cute too.  It is made up of tiny circles.  Some people may not like couscous because of the texture of the food.


So, take a bite of couscous and introduce a new, fun food to your family.

Do you like couscous?  Does anyone have any great recipes for couscous?


Try it!
Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Sister-in-Laws

The Sister-in-Laws
Dia and Ashley