Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Southern Tomato Round Sandwiches

Today I went LIVE on Studio 4 on Ch. 4 in Amarillo!



When we moved to Arkansas I join the Junior League of Pine Bluff.  A wonderful organization full of amazing women that meet once a month.  In this group we held fundraisers to help the community and the people in it.  One of our fundraisers was a cookbook and I became co-chairman of this committee.  
Allison Brown (my Co-Chairman) and I decided that we needed to do a fundraiser for this old cookbook and we choose to do a chili cook off.  To promote this Cook off I thought it would be a great idea to go on TV and talk about the event.  That would really spread the news!  
 I think that no one believed that I would actually get a spot on TV to promote this new, small event. 
 But I did.  Don't ever tell me "I can't" or "No"
 The only problem was that the producer wanted me to cook Chili LIVE???  
What I couldn't cook and talk at the same time on LIVE TV??
 But I knew the only way to get my event successful was to do it.  
I loved to cook and talk so this shouldn't be too hard.  Right???  
Forgot about what I was going to cook... What was I going to wear???

The morning of the event I could hardly move. The 50 minute drive to Little Rock felt like 2 hours long and I was about to throw up the whole way there.  
I talk way too fast (it is a Georgia thing) and that is all that went through my head that morning..... "just slow down, take your time, talk slow"
 The segment went Great!  I think it was love at first show.  
After that show, they called me back and I did a cooking segment once or twice a month  for 2 1/2 years until we moved to Texas.
  

A month ago, I was watching  Studio 4 on TV and saw a lady cooking and all those feeling came back. 
I stop right then and looked up the phone number on the internet and called the producer.
It took a few weeks to hear back from them, but I did and I accepted their invitation to cook on their show.
And the thrill is on!

It was just like old times (expect this set had running water and a real stove!)
Not sure why I enjoy it so much, but it is my little hobby.

Here is the recipe that I cooked yesterday and the link to my segment! 
I hope you enjoy watching it as much I enjoyed taping it!


10 to 12 Romans tomatoes


1 bottle of Zesty Italian Dressing



Slice tomatoes and then soak them overnight in the Italian Dressing
Drain them the next day on a paper towel before you put them on the sandwiches

 Then mix 1/2 cup mayo, 1 8oz cream cheese (softened), 1T season all salt, 1T Worcestershire sauce and
1T lemon juice

Sorry for the not so great pictures.... It was really hard preparing this recipes 3 times for TV, taking pictures, and oh I have 3 kids!!!

1 cup chopped pe-cans (Georgia Slang)
Mix all together to make a creamy mixture to spread on the bread


Take a cheap loaf of bread and a biscuit cutter.
Take each slice and cut 2 rounds per slice
take a damp paper towel and cover these rounds up because they will harden if you don't!
No one wants to eat a hard tomato round sandwich


Then layer them up.  First the bread, spread the cream cheese mixture , top with a well drained tomato, and then garnish with a little bit cilantro 
As seen here


We act like we are professionals.. don't we??
We wished!


Final product! Such a southern sandwich even on a southern plate!

Here is the link to the show.
Hope you enjoy
You have to click on both links for Part 1 and Part 2



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Sister-in-Laws

The Sister-in-Laws
Dia and Ashley